Overview

The project that I’m sort-of-actively working on at the moment at home has the working title “Tako” (from takoyaki, japanese for octopus).  It’s a highly randomized turn-based 20-minute-game.  Full concept available on Google Docs.  The concept is actually a bit different than what was originally outlined there, because I ended up changing the design somewhat when I was working through some gameplay issues.

As with all projects I work on nowadays, I’m maintaining an accurate task sheet, which doubles as a testing checklist at the end of a milestone.  I’m not too deep into development at the moment, but I’m pretty diligent in logging my time spent.

I’ve decided to take a bit of a different approach to this project moving forward, and instead of doing paper or simple graphical mocks, I’m going to actually develop my UI graphics as my UI mocks.  With any luck, it’ll mean that I’ll end up with graphics as I go, and not have to spend a lot of time doing art when I want to be coding!

Trying out a few different styles of text. Also, I *love* pushing pixels! ❤

Some Technical Details

  • Working title: Tako
  • Language: Java
  • IDE: Eclipse
  • Major libraries: Slick
  • Tools: GIMP

My biggest goal technically speaking is to have a working product, and not to have a robust and flexible system in the end.  I’m not into architecting engines, I’m into authoring games.  🙂

Advertisements